the net of people deeply affected by political violence
Mission and goals
Wednesday 21 May 2008
"We are a global network of organizations comprised of people who lost loved ones to, or were directly affected by, war, nuclear weapons, terrorism, genocide, organized crime, and political violence. We work together to break the cycles of violence and revenge, and are committed to honoring the memories of the victims and to the dignity of the survivors.
Using our collective experience and skills, we are dedicated to identifying and addressing the root causes of violence, and to promoting non-violence as the most effective strategy for resolving conflict.
We pledge to support and amplify each other’s efforts across diverse communities, recognizing that we derive our strength from our common experience of loss and our common hope for a world free from violence.”
1. To raise awareness that non-violence is a global movement and a viable response to terrorism, violence, occupation and war.
2. To support each member group in their local initiatives and to be enriched by their insights, experiences and successes.
3. To advocate to governments through unified voices and actions our support of legislation that acknowledges and honors the power of non-violence and opposes the use or threat of deadly violence for political purposes.
4. To build person-to-person ties between countries in conflict
5. To make the voice of the survivor, committed to peace, an accepted, respected and sought-after voice in the media, educational institutions and international forums.
6. To offer support and fellowship to all survivors of terrorism, violence and war across boundaries of geography, race, class, gender and faith, and encourage them to turn their grief into non-violent actions for peace.